In March, New York City told 15,000 Advantage households that it would no longer pay Advantage rent subsidies. Legal Aid and Weil won court orders requiring the City to pay the Advantage rent due in April and May. These orders were for Advantage tenants who were still within their Advantage lease period.
On May 2, 2011, the Court said it would not order the City to pay June rent for Advantage tenants. We do not know whether the Court will later order the City to pay rent for June and later months. For now, the City does not have to pay June rent or rent for later months. We will send more information when we have it, or you can check the website for the NYC Department of Homeless Services.
• Continue to pay your part of your rent to your landlord on time.
• Continue to follow Advantage rules.
• If you are in the middle of your Advantage lease period but the City has not sent
some of your payments for May 2011 or earlier months, call 311 to complain and
ask for an investigation.
• Request a fair hearing if you have not already done so.
1. Fax a copy of your notice to 518.473.6735 (keep your confirmation) or
2. Make an online request at www.otda.state.ny.us/oah/forms.asp or
3. Go in person to the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance at 14 Boerum Place, Ground Floor (corner of Livingston), Brooklyn, New York. (By Subway: 2, 3, 4, 5 to Borough Hall; N, R to Court Street).
• Your landlord cannot evict you without taking you to Housing Court.
• Don't leave your apartment to reapply at Path just because your Advantage rent has not been paid!
blog comments powered by Disqus