Last month, Legal Aid won a court order requiring the City to pay the Advantage rent due in April for Advantage tenants. On April 21, 2011, that order was extended to May 2nd, and the City is therefore paying May rent for Advantage tenants. The order covers only Advantage tenants who are still within their Advantage lease period.
However, we still don't yet know if the City will be ordered to pay Advantage rent going forward past May. The court will decide on May 2nd whether the City will have to pay any Advantage rent in the future.
• Continue to pay your part of your rent to your landlord on time.
• Continue to follow Advantage rules.
• If you are in the middle of your Advantage lease period but the City has not sent some of your payments, call 311 to complain and ask for an investigation.
• Request a fair hearing if you have not already done so.
1. Fax a copy of your notice to 518.473.6735 (keep your confirmation) or
2. Make an online request at www.otda.state.ny.us/oah/forms.asp or
3. Go in person to the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance at 14 Boerum Place, Ground Floor (corner of Livingston), Brooklyn, New York. (By Subway: 2, 3, 4, 5 to Borough Hall; N, R to Court Street).
• Your landlord cannot evict you without taking you to Housing Court.
• Don't leave your apartment to reapply at Path just because you think your Advantage rent will not be paid!