Supportive Housing

There are a wide range of supportive housing programs for individuals living with special needs, including programs for homeless New Yorkers with mental health conditions, substance abuse issues (past or present), individuals living with HIV/AIDS and young adults aging out of foster care.  Supportive housing includes many models of housing such as shared apartment style buildings, scattered site supported housing, community residences, and other forms of congregate housing.  The most common type of supportive housing is SRO’s or single room occupancy units.

A complete list of the different types of supportive housing is available through the Center for Community Services (CUCS).

Supportive housing can be a very good affordable housing option, but trying to understand all the different types of supportive housing and categories for eligibility can feel confusing and overwhelming at first.  There are three different agreements made over the past 30 years that established the various eligibility criteria.  These important agreements were called NY/NY because they were made between the City of New York and New York State.

A full list of supportive housing organizations is available through the Supportive Housing Network of New York.  However, all supportive housing applications must be submitted to the Human Resources Administration for approval before the application can be sent to housing providers.

The links below provide a more complete description regarding eligibility, application, and placement for supportive housing.

Eligibility for Supportive Housing

How to Apply for Supportive Housing

Getting Placed in Supportive Housing