Add Your Name
Tell Governor Cuomo It's Time for Home Stability Support
With nearly 63,000 people – including more than 24,000 children – sleeping in New York City shelters tonight and thousands more enduring homelessness statewide, it is time for bold action to address the crisis. Home Stability Support (HSS) is an innovative proposal by State Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi (D – Forest Hills) that would establish a statewide rent subsidy for public assistance families and individuals facing eviction, homelessness or loss of housing due to domestic violence or hazardous conditions. The plan would not only save thousands of New Yorkers from enduring the trauma of homelessness but would save tax dollars by reducing reliance on costly emergency shelters.
The proposal already has secured endorsements from City, State and Federal elected officials on both sides of the aisle, but we still need the support of the Governor to take the next steps towards making Home Stability Support a reality.
Add your name to our petition, and tell Governor Cuomo that HSS is the socially and financially responsible solution to combatting New York’s homelessness crisis.
- “A Bold Plan to Prevent Homelessness” – New York Times, January 23, 2017
- Coalition for the Homeless Policy Brief Finds ‘Lost Decade’ Major Cause Underlying Historic Family Homelessness – January 12, 2017
- Today’s Read: Plan to Address Homeless Crisis Gains Bipartisan Support – January 6, 2017
- Today’s Read: Momentum Builds for Home Stability Support – December 7, 2016
- Coalition and Elected Leaders Rally for Home Stability Support – November 22, 2016
- Why New York Needs Home Stability Support – Infographic
- Today’s Listen: Home Stability Support – September 30, 2016
- Today’s Read: Swapping Shelters for Rent Subsidies – September 13, 2016