We are sorry to report that the trial court ruled yesterday afternoon that New York City has “no ongoing obligation, contractual or otherwise, to continue the Advantage program.” See the Reuters news article here.
HOWEVER, for now, the appellate injunction requiring continued payments is still in place. The City paid or should have paid September rent payments for all Advantage tenants still in the program. It is still unclear what will happen at the Appellate Court going forward. Legal Aid will provide more information in the coming days, so please check back!
Please visit our page here detailing information on housing court, FEPS, and DRIE.
Download an important fact sheet from the Legal Aid Society here. And in Spanish here.
About the Court Orders:
• These orders only cover Advantage tenants currently within their Advantage lease period.
• Continue to pay your portion of the rent to your landlord on time.
• If you are in the middle of your Advantage lease period but the City has not sent some of your payments for May 2011 or earlier months, call 311 to complain and ask for an investigation.
• Request a fair hearing if you have not already done so. For more information click here.
• Your landlord cannot evict you without taking you to housing court.
• Don’t leave your apartment to apply at PATH just because your Advantage rent has not been paid!