Searching for an Apartment

Please note that New York City law explicitly prohibits housing discrimination on the basis of lawful source of income, including rental subsidies – meaning it is illegal for landlords to turn you away just because you would pay rent with a voucher such as CityFHEPS, FHEPS or Section 8. If you believe that you have experienced this type of housing discrimination, please report it through one of these resources:

  • Contact the NYC Human Resources Administration’s Source of Income Unit at 929-221-6576 or
  • File a complaint with the NYC Commission on Human Rights through this online form or by calling 311 or 212-306-7450.
  • Call the Fair Housing Justice Center at 212–400-8201 or toll-free at 1-866-350-FHJC.