Advantage Tenants: What You Need to Know [Updated]

The Legal Aid Society is in a current legal battle to save thousands of Advantage tenants from losing their rental assistance.

It’s important to note that the case is still going on and orders may change. We will post any changes and updates as soon as we receive them.

Read a fact sheet prepared by Legal Aid here. Y en Español.

If you are being sued in Housing Court:
• Go to Housing Court and answer the petition.
• If you have any bad conditions in your apartment, ask the clerk to schedule an inspection of your apartment.
• Visit the Housing Court Answers information table at Housing Court and visit their website here for information on your rights:
• Call the Legal Aid Office in your borough:
Bronx: 718-991-4600
Brooklyn: 718-722-3100
Manhattan: 212-426-3000
Queens: 718-286-2450
Staten Island: 347-422-5333

You may be eligible for a rent program called FEPS (Family Eviction Prevention Supplement), if:
• Someone in your household gets regular Public Assistance (PA).
• You have a child in your household who is under 18 OR under 19 and still in high school.
• You have been sued in Housing Court
OR you were evicted within the past year for non-payment of rent
OR you had to leave your apartment because of a government vacate order or a foreclosure proceeding
• You have a lease for at least one year and a monthly rent amount that is less than the following amounts (based on the number of people in your household):
1 person – $800
2 people – $900
3 people – $1050
4 people – $1100
(Ask your landlord if s/he will accept this amount of rent in the future.)
• If you have no other funds to pay your back rent, FEPS will pay rent arrears owed to your landlord up to $7,000.
• If your landlord sues you and you are eligible for FEPS, you may be eligible to move to a new apartment if your landlord refuses to give you a lease within the FEPS levels. Call 311 and ask for HomeBase to discuss your options.

If you are disabled, you may be eligible for the Disability Rent Increase Exemption Program (DRIE)
DRIE offers eligible tenants an exemption from rent increases which may result in a reversion to rent paid under a previous lease or rent order. The owner of the building receives a corresponding credit against their real estate taxes from the City of New York. Applicants must meet ALL of the eligibility requirements. Please see eligibility requirements and detailed information about DRIE here.

Leave a Reply