Upcoming Events For Seniors and Tenants with Disabilities to Sign-Up for Rent Freeze Program

Workshops on recent expansion of eligibility for the programs SCRIE and DRIE will be held this week and next. Come see if you qualify and sign up!

(Información disponible en español)

Assemblymember Brian Kavanagh, State Senators Brad Hoylman and Liz Kruger, and Councilmembers Rosie Mendez and Dan Garodnick will co-host three informational events aimed at helping senior and disabled constituents apply for SCRIE and DRIE. Seniors and tenants with disabilities can get their questions answered and receive personal assistance with their applications at these one-on-one sessions:

Monday, August 11, 1:00pm – 3:00pm at Tompkins Square Library, 331 East 10th Street between Avenues A + B

Tuesday, August 12, 1:30pm – 4:30pm at Stuyvesant Town Peter Cooper Village Community Center, East 16th Street and First Avenue

Thursday, August 21, 1:00pm – 3:30pm at Stein Senior Center, 204 East 23rd Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues

You qualify for SCRIE or DRIE if you:

  • Are at least 62 years old or receive SSI, SSDI, a VA disability pension or compensation, or disability related Medicaid
  • Have no more than $50,000 in annual household income and your rent is more than a third of that
  • Live in a rent controlled or rent stabilized or HDFC Coop Shareholder or Mitchell-Lama apartment
  • Do not live in NYCHA, Section 8 or similar housing

What you should bring, in order to apply:

  • Proof of your date of birth (driver’s license, birth certificate, passport, government ID, etc.)
  • Proof of income for yourself and all household members for 2013, including any W-2 forms, 1099 forms, pension or SSI/SSDI statements, etc.
  • Your prior and current lease, signed by both you and your landlord. If you are a rent-controlled tenant without a lease, bring a Notice of Maximum Collectible Rent, and Certification of Fuel Cost Adjustment for 2013
  • Any notices of Major Capital Improvement charges you received in the past 2 years
  • A tax statement, if you filed taxes for 2013

Leave a Reply