Welcome to the new, improved, and more-interactive Coalition for the Homeless website!
The Coalition’s re-designed website has up-to-date content and new features, including a blog and online advocacy tools to help you get involved.
Please take a moment to check out our current advocacy campaigns, where you can:
• Send a letter to Mayor Bloomberg urging him to provide proven Federal housing assistance to homeless families and individuals
• Send a letter to Governor Paterson urging him to change punitive State rules that eject homeless children and adults from shelters to the streets.
Also, please check out some of our recent blog posts, in particular:
• “City Blames Homeless for Being Denied Shelter” — which described City officials’ alarming tendency to blame the failures of City agencies on homeless people themselves.
• “Is It Time Yet, Mayor Bloomberg?” — which asks when Mayor Bloomberg will address record homelessness.
• “Thirty Years of the Legal Right to Shelter in New York City” — which records the recent anniversary of the first major ruling in Callahan v. Carey, the landmark right-to-shelter lawsuit.
• “A Stark Reminder of the Danger of Illegal Boarding Houses” — which looked at two recent fires in illegal dwellings and the dangers of the Bloomberg administration’s policy of referring homeless people to illegal, unsafe boarding houses.
You can also find out the latest news about the Coalition and NYC homelessness, including:
• Our recent legal challenge to the City of New York’s lack of shelter for homeless men and women.
• How the number of NYC homeless shelter residents — now more than 39,000 people each night — recently hit all-time record levels.
Finally, you can learn about the Coalition’s acclaimed direct-services programs that help thousands of homeless and low-income New Yorkers.
We hope you enjoy the new website, and please come back to find new information and new features.